Tuesday, April 17, 2007

the universe is unfolding

I posted one of my favorite poems Saturday. My father had a copy of it framed and it was always wonderful to read. In looking for it I came across many discussions on the internet of it and what it meant to everyone who read it. The authorship was questioned and solved. Similar to the "Just Do It" poem that was attributed to Mother Theresa but later found to have been written by someone else. One of my favorite parts is talking about how the universe is unfolding as it should.

Many have taken this to mean that they should not try to change things or protest things that they felt passionate about. When I brought that up to my Dad he commented that we are all part of the unfolding. The things that I was passionate about were just as much a part of the "universe unfolding" as anything else. It is interesting how many times we take ourselves out of the larger picture when we assume that our little part doesn't matter. It also means that whatever we are doing - whether others think it should be more or less - is what should be happening. So don't cash in that airline ticket for the next protest in Washington or cancel opening that soup kitchen, or deciede not to plant those extra flowers, or feel guilty about spending a day curled up with a good book - the universe is unfolding as it should.

No comments: